Thursday, December 7, 2006

Spring

This morning Ben and I were listening to classical music. Vivaldi's Four Seasons, the Spring concerto. As were driving along the 101, Ben said, "Dad, this music sounds like Spring time".

I don't care if deep in his subconscious , he may recall either my telling him that the concerto was called Spring, or that he may have remembered from that Beethoven's wig CD we haven't listened to in months (it's been misplaced). I think it's pretty incredible for a four year old boy to be able to pick out the Spring concerto from Vivaldi's Four Seasons upon listening.

Ha ha! Not only is my kid smarter than your kid, he's probably smarter than you too!

Sometimes, Ben fills my heart with so much joy I think it might kill me... that's a feeling all parents get. What they don't usually get is to see their kids identify pieces of classical music like they might identify Disney characters.

That's all. Yup. That's all.

2 comments:

Jessica Gottlieb said...

Oh I felt a flutter of your joy there.

Eve was at both opera and ballet this month... she adored it. I have a shorter attention span so I played my favorite going out game "What surgery has he/she had?" it's a bigger challenge in the dark at Disney Hall.

Vivaldi... how heady... I'd be so proud too.

Adam and Eve love The Red Hot Chili Peppers!

What can I say, I was raised in Los Angeles?

Kory said...

ha ha! That's funny! The Chilli Peppers? Are your children really named Adam and Eve? That'd be so cool. Mine's named Benjamin Franklin. No kidddin'. His all time favorite musician? Johnny Cash. He also loves the Irish Rovers' "Donald, Where's Your Trousers?", but I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find a 4 or 5 year old boy who doesn't like a song about not wearing pants.