Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I've seen the Light

I've seen the light
red and blue
rotating,
screaming,
bright white
search light,
hand cuffed
sitting on the curb.
I've seen the light
sucked into a penny
in a mud puddle.
Dirty copper.
I've seen the lights
of county jail
in the wee hours
of some mundane weekday.

I've seen the light
fluorescent yellow tinged
casting a dingy hue
over hospital floors,
fake name and address,
fake social, no ID.
Sweating bullets
from pain
and nerves
wondering if they'll
discover my lie.
"You're doing fine, Derek"
"Just a little more, Derek"

I've seen the light
of the setting sun
behind the edge of
Western civilization,
Pacific waves crashing
and cresting upon
California's shoreline,
still holding
the gold rush fever.
Just reach down
and pick up
a fortune
lying peacefully
and undisturbed
right there on the ground.

I've seen it
pour through
vertical blinds
on quiet mornings,
painting young women
the color of bourbon.

I've seen it
burst out of
speakers and saxophones,
microphones and conga drums,
guitars and trumpets
setting Hollywood
on fire
and setting young lovers
on fire,
red with passion
love and hate
broadcast along the Boulevard,
little Mariachis
following behind,
making up the song
as they go along
yelling
screaming
loving
hating.

Yeah,
I've seen the light,
and it's right here
with us.
Right now.

No comments: