Tuesday, December 19, 2006

gambling on current events

Good morning, Slim. Happy Tuesday.

I think we should start an on line current events gambling racket. Hear me out, because I think this could work.

First, I should preface this by saying that I think gambling is an inherent trait in human beings. It's given us a thrill since the beginning of time, and will continue to do so long after we've colonized Mars, exploited all of our resources there and started to colonize Titan, (one of Jupiter's moons). I know gambling isn't the best thing we can do, but it doesn't have to be the worst either.

Betting on current events. It can be organized into different categories and sub categories. Here are a few ideas:

1) Domestic politics
a) National
b) Statewide
c) Local
2) Foreign politics
a) Asain
b) Middle Eastern
c) European
d) African
3) Popular Culture
a) Music
b) Cinema
c) Television
d) Tabloids/gossip
4) Business
a) Global
b) National

Then there can be certain betting window that open and close throughout the day. Election time would be crazy for domestic politics. Odds could be listed on all windows. "2008 Democratic Primaries, 5 to 1 Obama loses to Howard Dean". Or, "2 to 1 SNL does a 'Britney's Beaver' skit". "3 to 1 they cancel Craig Ferguson after this season".

Soon, every young person in America is watching the news, and people are getting fired up about politics. People start to participate when they realize that their own money is at steak. Before we know it, people make so much noise that the powers that be start to hear them. Politicians rethink their policies to benefit their constituents (rather than their wallets). Television producers start to realize that people will not watch shitty shows (because they're betting against them). Movies without substance begin to tank at the box office...

I think we're on to something here. I mean, even if gambling on current events doesn't make America a better place by getting the people involved, at least some savvy, white capitalist swine could run with this idea and make a shit load of money. And, White Capitalist Swine, if you're reading this, I want in on it. If not, I'll sue you, claiming you stole the idea from this blog post. I'll wait until you've become a gazillionaire though, 'cause I don't want to inherit a failing, borderline illegal business with mafia ties.

2 to 1 Forrest Whitaker is nominated for Best Actor for "The Last King of Scotland".

4 comments:

Kory said...

This didn's come out formatted the way I typped it, but I'm much to lazy to go back and fix it. Sorry. I'm sure you'll be able to sort out the categories and sub categories without the difference in font and spacing.

Cletus said...

Good eyed deer.

You really write well, I enjoy reading your blogs. It's a good thing too, because as a vampire hunter for instance, you wouldn't want to drive a steak through the heart...especially a rare steak.

Maybe a stake? So if you find a gazillionaire to partner with, if you can get in on a the deal for steak rather than stake...let me know.

GunnNitz said...

I'm on it. And when I'm a gazillionaire with mofia ties this blog spot will mysteriously disappear. Damn Me, I am the White Capitalist Swine.

Kory said...

You were the original WCS, Gunnar. Only problem is, you're nowhere near as heartless as the swine of today's market.