Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Right now, I'm going to set itunes to random and list the ten arbitrary selections. I promise not to cheat. OK, go.

1) Vivaldi - "4 Seasons" (Spring Concerto). Duh. Ben likes it.
2) Clarence Clearwater - "Slip Away". Because it rawks, yo.
3) John Lennon - "It's Real". Weird. Lennon whistles a happy song and plucks a guit-box for just longer than one minute. Yoko recently released this acoustic version (2005?).
4) Gilberto - "Girl From Ipanema". I know, I rule.
5) Unknown Artist(s) from something I got on Lime Wire called "Irish Drinking Songs". It's called "Fuck You, I'm Drunk". And while I always appreciate a hilarious racial stereo type (drunken Irishmen... though sadly, the song says nothing of potatoes); I also appreciate hundred year old Sea Shanties with verse as profound as, "I'm going to stay drunk / 'till the next time I'm drunk!"
6) Calexico - "The Ride Part II". It has it's artistic merits, but it's inescapably hipster crap. Aury and Thomas (Or "The Frenchies" as they're sometimes called) gave it to me. I burned 'em a shitload of Jimmie Rogers in return. Welcome to America, fellas - De-yo-deh-leigh-he-he!
7) Johnny Cash - "Personal Jesus". Yup. And it's great, too (in case you don't already know). J.R. made a whole CD steeped in his own pending demise. He could see the end of the line as soon as June passed, and thought he'd say "So long" to all o' us fans. Thanks John.
8) Pearl Bailey with Cootie Williams and his Orchestra - "Tess's Torch Song". It's dope, dude. But then again, if your name is "Cootie", you're automatically knighted in the League of Awesomeness.
9) Otis Redding - "Dreams to Remember". I know, I know. It was on some shitty, 80's, coming-of-age-teeny-bopper dung heap of a movie, but Otis is the man, and the song is great.
10) Bill Monroe - "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad". Just an old bluergrass hillbilly who once had his mandolin smashed to bits, painstakingly repaired and recently purchased for well over a million clams. He's that good.

So here's the deal. If you've read this far, you must now post ten random selections from your itunes library. Where should you post it? Hmmm... the comments section of this very entry seems as good a spot as any. Don't cheat and skip a song just because you don't like it, or it's something your douche bag ex roommate downloaded. You don't have to feel obligated to explain, but if the need strikes you, please elaborate.

Over.

2 comments:

Cletus said...

So...have you laid down a challenge?

1. September Song- Al Hirt
2. Blowin' in the Wind-Dolly Parton
3. Darling Nikki- (The artist finally known again as Prince)
4. Hot As Sun/Glasses- Paul McCartney
5. Cool Water- Sons of the Pioneers.
6. The Wind Cries Mary-Jimi Hendrix
7. The Man I Love-Billie Holiday
8. Playhouse-Van Morrison
9. My Country-Randy Newman
10. Saved-The Mighty Clouds of Joy

Bonus selections...even dozen.

11. Summertime-Brothers Gershwin
12. Whistlin' Past the Graveyard-Tom Waits.

Random tunes. That's a good idea.

Sorry...doesn't look like we're gonna make Sparrows.

But I have to say, dark brooding poets are a lot like one note angry (or weeping) actors. Not that good. Keep 'em laughing while you're makin' 'em think, says I.

Anonymous said...

All right, man. You told me to do it, so I'm doing it. Keep in mind, my playlist has over 15000 songs, so I can only be held slightly accountable for what it contains. Here we go...

1. Who Put The Bop In The Bop Shoo-Bop-Shoo Bop
2. Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings
3. Ben Folds Five - Selfless, Cold, and Composed
4. Huey Lewis and the News - The Power of Love
5. Nine Inch Nails - Metal
6. Pink Floyd - Breathe
7. Handel - Water Music, Suite #2 in D
8. Bob Dylan - Don't Think Twice, It's Alright (holy shit, my fucking favorite Dylan song!)
9. Dream Theater - Peruvian Skies
10. Tom Waits - Step Right Up

Practically all shit you'd hear on the radio. I'm almost ashamed. It's random though, so what can you do. I do think the last song is fitting though--Kory, you hipped me to the magic that is Tom Waits. I think that might even be the first song you played for me of his. Rock on. That is all, time for bed.

-bobo